11/12/2012

Raised from ashes 2

I filled my litle kiln with the pieces, algae and wood shavings and fired, I was not sure if the fire was alive or not during the night, but I was so excited so I couldn't sleep. In the morning I run to see if the wood shavings and algae burnt. They did.
I began to empty the kiln through a hole on the bottom with help of a stick.
Pieces bean to come out. They are red and very different from my first pit fired pieces.
IMG_6389_1
IMG_6463_1IMG_6441_1IMG_6418_1IMG_6439_1IMG_6430_1

































Yesterday I sealed every piece with wax and today I was so excited to oxidize for the first time sterling silver chains and other findings to finish my raised from ashes earrings and necklaces.  Yay! :)

Find out more ceramic work on Mud Colony!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful and so "earthy", what a fun thing! It must be so exciting to open up the kiln and see the results :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS exciting and I become and addict to try again and again bc every time is an enigma what you finally get!

      Delete
  2. gorgeous! beautiful colors!!
    some of the pieces look like coral, from the sea ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. so gorgeous. i love your artwork, so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tout simplement j'adore ce que vous faites!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely textures - well done - how will they last over time? Do you need to coat them with a sealer? Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ellen! Thank you for droping a peek!
    Well, yes, I sealed them with wax and yes it will last over time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it has been so long since I have done a barrel firing, your pieces turned out wonderfully, how do you finish them, do you put a cold wax on them, love the chain and the bowl full of beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda!
      I finish them with wax, wax for ceramics I purchased in a locas arts shop.
      Thank you for droping a peek!

      Delete